[Gdal-dev] Aigrid2 not working on Windows..

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 09:36:33 EDT 2003

Ben Discoe wrote:
> Interesting behavior on my machine.  After installing some ESRI products, i
> can no longer open Arc Grid files (.adf).  It doesn't crash specifically -
> it just abruptly exits the entire app.  Callstack is:
>
> pfnGridIOSetup()
> GIODataset::Open()
> GDALOpen()
>
> Apparently, this is happening because it's now finding a DLL called
> "avgridio.dll" on my machine, part of the ESRI software.  Unfortunately,
> because is just exits abruptly from inside the ESRI DLL, i can't debug it -
> nor can i fall back on the standard .adf support.
>
> I tried working around the problem by renaming the DLL:
> 	C:\ESRI\AV_GIS30\ARCVIEW\BIN32\avgridio.dll
> however, GDAL then finds and uses this:
> 	C:\arcgis\arcexe83\bin\aigridio.dll
>
> ..which also does an abrupt exit crash.  When i rename them both, then GDAL
> uses the normal driver and loads my file fine.  Any ideas?

Ben,

This driver should work ok with the avgridio.dll that comes with ArcView 3.x
but given its gross instability with newer versions of this DLL I think it is
best if I just disable it in the default GDAL format list.  I am going to
remove it from GDALAllRegister(), and anyone wanting to use this driver in an
application will need to call GDALRegister_AIGrid2() manually in their
application.

I hate depending on other folks libraries...