[Gdal-dev] Computing histograms for output files

Michael Lefsky lefsky at cnr.colostate.edu
Thu Oct 23 16:07:30 EDT 2003

I have been using GDAL to create erdas Imagine .img files (i.e. HFA
format). The HFA format includes a histogram of each band as part of its
data structure. When I open these files in Imagine, I can compute a
histogram, and work with the files that way. However, I would like to open
these files directly in ArcGis, and when I open these files in Arcgis
(without previously calculating the histograms in Imagine) ArcGis crashes.

Is there a way of adding these histograms within GDAL? As an added
complication, I am creating Float32 files (from python), not standard Int8
files.

Michael Lefsky, Assistant Professor
Department of Forest, Rangeland and Watershed Stewardship
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523
970/491-0602 970/491-6754 (FAX) lefsky at cnr.colostate.edu