[Gdal-dev] Guess the pixels and rows of raw image

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 31 10:13:12 EST 2003

Chen, Fu wrote:
> Hi! In Gdal, every raw image should has a header to describe its pixels and rows. But in photoshop, it will guess the
> pixels and rows automaticly. I think it decide the size by the relation of nearby rows. Is there any resource or code
> on the web that we can add a guess feature in the gdal? In some situations we don't have a standard header for raw
> image, if we have a gdal tool it will generate a bil header automaticly,  we needn't to write new raw format driver.

Fu Chen,

While I believe there is going to be a dialog developed for OpenEV which
allows a user to describe the format of a raw file, I was not aware of any
dependable way to "guess" the layout of raw files.  If it is easily done it
would be good to incorporate into that tool.

I wouldn't want to have GDALOpen() try to guess raw file layout on it's own
though.  To dangerous.