[Gdal-dev] Two user's questions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 16:59:31 EDT 2003

Zbigniew Perski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new user of gdal. I am using it within OpenEV and grass but
> recently I have decided to build it fro  source.
>
> During my work with gdal I found a strange think: in all distributions
> which I have tried (debian packages, OpenEV, source) I can not find
> gdaltindex!
> What is happend with this tool which is described on the project's web
> page?

Zbignew,

gdaltindex is (in my mind) an extra not needed by non-Mapserver users
of GDAL so I don't normally build and install it.  When you are building
yourself just cd into gdal/apps and type "make gdaltindex" to build it.

> 2-nd problem is related to using python modules. After instalation I
> should:
>
> "In order to run GDAL after installing it is necessary for the shared
> library to be findable. This can often be accomplished by setting
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /usr/local/lib."
>
> I have tried to add a path in .bashrc but it is not working. Does
> anybody can tell me how to correctly do it in linux (debian) ?

Normally adding this to your .bashrc or .bash_profile should work.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib