[Gdal-dev] Problems with building GDAL on solaris

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Apr 4 13:12:37 EDT 2004

Gagan Tandon wrote:
> 2. I ran the make command
>
> It went on for 20 minutes or so, doing a lot of stuff and in the end
> threw a fatal error regarding some oci file. I read through the errors
> and found that it could not find oci.h and it tried to use something
> else and then threw out a couple of error messages regarding ogrfrmts.
> anyway, I added option (--with-oci=no) to ./configure command . so i ran
> the following commands
>
> make clean
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/gdal --with-pymodir=/home/gdal/pymod
> --with-oci=no

Gagan,

I see the default check for oracle is to see if OCIBindByName is in
the libclntsh library but it doesn't check if the include files (which
will also be required) can be found.  This should be corrected at some
point, but I don't actually have a similar configuration to test with.

> make
>
> after 20 minutes of printing what it has been doing, it threw fatal
> error again with more than 200 lines of error regarding files of
> libnetcdf, libjpeg and libz. So I removed the jpeg and netcdf format
> from the GDAL_FORMATS variable in GDALmake.opt file. and I ran make
> clean and make again.

I would suggest instead re-configuring with internal libz and libjpeg
if the system provided ones are causing problems.

eg.

--with-jpeg=internal --with-libz=internal

> Again there were errors, but no netcdf, but some other errors regarding
> jpeg were there which ended with a fatal relocation error . the dump of
> the last few lines of that error is provided below. I would appreciate
> if someone could provide me clues on how to rectify this error.
> /usr2/OS-DEPENDENT/SunOS_Generic_sparc/lib/libjpeg.a(jdphuff.o)
> jpeg_consume_input                  0x39c
> /usr2/OS-DEPENDENT/SunOS_Generic_sparc/lib/libjpeg.a(jdapimin.o)
> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
> sections!
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I don't really know why this is happening, but I would suspect that there is
something significantly different in the way the referenced libjpeg is
built and it is causing some sort of conflict.  I don't really know why.