[Gdal-dev] Any hints on increasing performance?

Rick Niles fniles at mitre.org
Wed Apr 7 14:34:09 EDT 2004

I've written a program to show line-of-sight coverage of various radars
and aircraft navigation aids such as DME and VOR.  It should also work
for com links as well.  I used the GDal library for reading in the
terrain data (DTED Level 1, USGS DEM, or GTOPO30).  The problem is
performance.  To do all of 48-US states it takes about an hour, which
may seem quick, but I wanted to make it a web based application that has
a faster turn-around.

I'm calling GDALRasterIO for one point at a time.  I know that's what
everyone is going to say that is the bottleneck, but I tried reading all
the data into arrays and it took 100x longer, because I don't use a
large chunk of the data and reading it all in was quite time consuming,
not to mention it used a huge amout of memory.   Also, with the caching
that GDAL does, it works quite well.  BTW, I coverted the DEM and
GTOPO30 data in GeoTiff format which helped a whole bunch too.

Anyway, the obvious answer is to just not evaluate as many locations,
but I just thought I'd ask if someone had a better solution, since that
effects the accuracy of the results.

I'm working on convincing my employeer to let me release it as
open-source.   We'll see how that goes.

    Thanks,
    Rick Niles.