[Gdal-dev] AAIGrid driver: small PROJCS detection problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 19 15:31:08 EDT 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> The PROJCS is set "unnamed", shouldn't it be Transverse_Mercator
> or is the problem related to the fact that the projection is
> very particular? It should be the Italian Gauss-Boaga, but
> the modified version from the Province of Bolzano. Note the
> Xshift        -1000000.0000000000
> Yshift        -5000000.0000000000
>
> which is probably ignored (the center should be around
> Center Longitude: 11:25:49.77287E [11.43049]
> Center latitude:  46:39:01.079651N [46.65030]
> ).
>
> So maybe there are two problems?

Markus,

The fact that the PROJCS is "unnamed" is fine.  If there was
a way to know a meaningful user name for the coordinate system
it would be nice to substitute it, but that is tricky.

I see two issues.
  1) The Spheroid (INTERNATIONAL1909) was not recognised, so WGS84
     was incorrected used as a default.  I have committed a small change
     to recognise INTERNATIONAL1909 in CVS.
  2) The Xshift/Yshift were ignored.  I don't really understand the
     semantics though so I am not sure what to change.

If you know what should be done for the X/Y shift values, I would
suggest you submit a bug report.