[Gdal-dev] Question about gdal_translate (NITF export)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 21 13:59:59 EDT 2004

Dinardo, George wrote:
> Hello Frank;
>
> Thank you for the quick response and the detail provided.  I have tried a
> variety of options and the suggestions provided but to no avail.  Using the
> OPENEV interface I was able to create a geotiff file without a problem
> properly subsetted and rectified.  I then tried to use gdal_translate to
> create an NITF format file but the error "NITF format does not support
> complex integer data" is produced.  I am not able to subset the SAR image to
> provide you with a sample (>200MB), but OPENEV/gdal does an excellent job of
> subsetting the image to GeoTiff if this would be helpful.

George,

I have confirmed that the NITF writer does not support CInt16 (16bit
complex integer image type).  There is supposedly a CFloat32 support
but when I tried converting the CInt16 data to CFloat32 there was
the message:

warmerda at gdal[138]% gdal_translate -of NITF -ot CFloat32 -srcwin 0 0 100 100 da
_01.001 out.ntf
Input file size is 2500, 14795
Warning 1: Unsupported combination of PVTYPE(C) and NBPP(64).
1...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...100 - done.

I think this reflects a lack of testing of complex imagery support in
NITF.  I will try and dig into this a bit further.  You might want to
submit a bug report.

I will also investigate whether complex integer imagery is *supposed*
to be supported in NITF.