[Gdal-dev] Help: 12bit JPEG compressed TIFF

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 28 08:26:43 EDT 2004

xqcheng wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have some tiff files compressed in JPEG, But cannot open..
> The error message is "cannot support 12 bits/sample".
> I want to know how to solve this? Does it need modification to JPEG library.
> Best Regards
> CXQ

CXQ,

Apparently libjpeg needs to be built a particular way to support
12 bit data (and then 8bit isn't supported).  I have never attempted
any support for 12 bit data myself though.  One client actually setup
a system with an 8bit libjpeg DLL, and a 12 bit libjpeg DLL and demand
loads them according to circumstances.