[Gdal-dev] Problem creating JPEG compressed TIFFs

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Sat Aug 7 04:10:33 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 06:19:05PM +0200, StefanReisser at t-online.de wrote:
> When trying to create georeferenced, JPEG compressed GeoTiff images, I
> get the following error:
>
> ERROR 1: TIFFWriteEncodedStrip:q131Image.tif:
> In place update to compressed TIFF images not supported.
>
> My code works perfectly for uncompressed files. Does anyone know where
> the error might be?

That means exactly what is written: in place update to compressed TIFF
images is not supported. It is limitation of the libtiff library. TIFF
file consists from the bunch of small chunks: strips or tiles depending
on chosen image layout. Every chunk compressed separately, so all
chunks have a different sizes. When you want to update a part of the
already written and compressed image library should move a large part of
image, because updated chunk will have a different size. Perhaps we will
create a sort of memory management for libtiff sometime in the far
future, but not now.

So your application should write TIFF image chunk by chunk starting from
the first scanline, or just don't use compression.

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517