[Gdal-dev] gdal and libgrass

Silke Reimer Silke.Reimer at intevation.de
Sat Aug 7 14:00:20 EDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 07:19:46PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 02:32:29PM +0200, Silke Reimer wrote:
> > >
> > > There is another option: Radim Blazek wrote a new GDAL/GRASS driver
> > > (see QGIS project for details). Frank considers to replace the old driver.
> > > The new driver uses the GRASS libs directly, so the external 'libgrass'
> > > is no longer needed then.
> >
> > OK. This seems to be a good solution. Nevertheless this means that I
> > will have to wait before I can include grass support into gdal,
> > right?
> [...]
> >
> > I can not wait much longer until I build a new gdal package since
> > debian sarge will be freezed in short time. So appearently grass
> > support will not be included in debian sarge but in the debian
> > version which comes next.
>
> How much time is left to replace the GDAL/GRASS driver to get
> it into Debian? It's important also for QGIS and useful for
> MapServer.
> I don't know when Frank will be back, but replacing it should
> not ne too much work as Radim provided diff files.

OK. I misunderstood the situation: The patch from Radim is already
the native GRASS-driver for gdal?

Even then I hesitate to apply it for the next package update. One
reason is that the debian people have already frozen parts of sarge.
Such it becomes more difficult to get new things into sarge.

Another reason is that I don't know how stable the patch is. Perhaps
you can give me some more information about this. But I never tried
it and I don't no whether it will break other things.

My proposition: I will prepare a new gdal package today (I will do
this anyway) but without the grass-patch. When there is time
left next week I will try out the grass-patch and perhaps prepare a
new package of gdal with grass support. I am not too confident
though that this package will be into the next stable release of
debian.

Many greetings,

	Silke

--