[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal and libgrass

Silke Reimer Silke.Reimer at intevation.de
Mon Aug 9 15:04:53 EDT 2004

Hi Steve,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:38:19PM -0400, Steve Halasz wrote:
> Silke,
>
> I just joined this mailing list because I saw this thread on the web.
> I'm the debian maintainer of qgis, which depends on gdal. I've been
> trying to get qgis's grass plugins into debian for a while. They depend
> on Radim's patches for gdal, which depend on grass 5.7. I believe I am
> within a week of having a suitable grass5.7 package. Hopefully Jochen
> will sponsor it for me.

This would be really cool! Thank you very much for this effort. Are
these packages those that are available under [1]?

> I also have used your gdal package as a starting point for successfully
> building a version with Radim's grass patches included. I aim to provide
> you with those changes when the grass package is ready.

This would be nice. BTW: Jochen just uploaded a new gdal-debian
package. The source should be availabe in a few hours. Such you can
do your diff on the actual package.

> There is also a potential problem with circular dependencies since
> grass5.7 depends on gdal and now gdal will depend on grass5.7. So far
> I've been able to build in spite of this by starting with current
> version of gdal, building grass5.7, and then building the new version of
> gdal depending on grass5.7. But I wonder what potential there is for
> trouble with this down the road.

It would be good when those resources that are necessary to build
gdal-support could be packaged into an extra package (something like
grass-dev). Thus I will not need the whole grass-pacakge to build
gdal (which seems to be overkill to me). I don't know exactly whether
this could be possible but perhaps you can think about it.

> It would be cool if this could all get into the next release. But I
> suspect that most debian gis users are running testing/unstable anyway.

Yes, that's true. I think it will not be possible to get grass 5.7
into sarge since the debian people plan to freeze at August the
17th. Since you need 10 days to drop from unstable to testing it
will be nearly impossible to get grass 5.7 into sarge.

> Thanks for packaging gdal and I'm psyched that you're keen to include
> grass support.

Of course I will!

Greetings,

	Silke