[Gdal-dev] GeoTIFF External Overviews

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 17 09:51:19 EDT 2004

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>

>>As a rule of thumb, do applications that support GeoTIFF also support
>>overviews?  Is there a rule of thumb?
>

> I doubt there's any rhyme or reason to it.  I work on one
> open-source application that supports a very small set of geotiff
> formats.  We don't support overviews.  It's not a GIS application,
> but a real-time tracking application.  We don't currently see a
> great need for overviews.

Tyler,

Curt is correct.  Many applications does not support TIFF overviews.  Some
applications support them but in other ways than GDAL does.  However, there
are a number of comercial applications that I believe support the same
style of overviews as GDAL including (I think) PCI, Erdas/Leica and
ESRI.

Many applications have no support for TIFF overviews of course, such as Curt's.
Of course, any that use GDAL get it for free whether they know it or not.