[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL and Spot Vegetation

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Aug 18 11:09:13 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 16:56, Markus Neteler wrote:

<snip>

> So one seems to have to parse the 0001_LOG.TXT (sigh).

That's what I did...
Or kindly request for spot vegetation hdf tags support built into gdal :-)
Don't know it that is possible, but I would guess that there are more people
than only you and me that use spot vegetation data, so there should be some
user base for that.
OK, I'll do it now:
Frank, or another developer who does the hdf support in gdal, if you read
this, could you comment on the possibility to support spot vegetation
metadata hdf info, like projection etc.?

> > - unzip the file into a temp directory (all vegetation zip files unzip in
> > the same 0001/ directory, handy that is :-/ )
> > - copy the right vrt file (for that region) to this temp dir. I created
> > vrt file for the 2 regions I used, which I kept in a 'vrt_templates' dir;
> > the vrt files refer to the vgt hdr files with relative path names (a
> > feature Frank Warmerdam implemented especially for this purpose on my
> > request), thus they become meaningfull when copied to a dir with the
> > right .hdr files.) - gdaltranslate this vrtfile to a geotiff file, giving
> > the geotiff file some meaningfull name like $region_$date_s10.tif or
> > something like that - copy this geotiff file (if everyting went OK) to a
> > spotveg data dir, which will contain all these geotiff files in the end.
> > empty and remove the temp dir.
> >
> > I can't seem to find the script right now, should have it somewhere
> > around here but haven't used it for some time. But using the above
> > guidelines you should be able to write your own. Mine was not very fancy
> > & robust, either...
>
> OK, thanks for your insights.

Welcome.