[Gdal-dev] Geotiff ModelPixelScaleTag

Gillian Walter gillian.walter at atlantis-scientific.com
Wed Aug 25 11:06:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have a question about the Geotiff ModelPixelScaleTag.  On page 25 of
the Geotiff specification, there is a diagram indicating that either
ModelPixelScaleTag and ModelTiepointTag, or ModelTransformationTag alone
will be used to geocode an image.  However, the next page indicates that
ModelPixelScaleTag and ModelTransformationTag are optional.  Is it valid
to specify only the ModelTiepointTag and not ModelPixelScaleTag?  I was
under the impression that it was, since the ModelPixelScaleTag and
ModelTransformationTag parameters can't always accurately represent a
dataset's geocoding (eg. slant range SAR imagery), but one of our
customers disagrees, and I can see how the spec could be interpreted
either way.

Gillian