[Gdal-dev] HDF Georeference

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Thu Dec 2 20:41:53 EST 2004

On 12/02/2004 07:16:01 AM, wlx wrote:
> Hi all,
>      In the hdf4 format
> homepage(http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_hdf4.html),it is
> sayed
> that
> gdal can support ASTER L1B data's georeference.
>     When I use gdal_translate utility to translate a ASTER's
> subdataset to a
> geotiff file,I find the geotiff file include nothing about
> georefence.

I do know that the HDF driver has been redone and works differently
in recent GDAL versions

the old driver was
   HDF4_SDS:ASTER_L1B:

checking with gdalinfo recent GDAL version
   HDF4_EOS:EOS_SWATH:
is the driver for ASTER L1B file

revert back to
  OpenEV_FW 1.7.2  (which ises the HDF4_SDS dirver)
or download HEG from
  http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/PRODOCS/misr/tools/geotiff_tool.html
  and run HEG on the HDF to produce georegistered bands as tiffs.

I have not had an opportunity to compare the results of  HEGtools and
 the older HDF_SDS driver.

If you get a chance to compare them
   is there any pixel shift between the two methods or are they
functionally equivalent.

C.

carl anderson
GIS Manager