[Gdal-dev] Conversion to Grayscale

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Fri Dec 3 12:57:15 EST 2004

Do any of the existing gdal tools support converting a color (RGB or
paletted) image to a grayscale image? I've been using ImageMagick
"convert" for this, but it takes ridiculously long to do - ie. I can
reproject the image faster than I can grayscale it - even without doing
any histogram balancing. I'm guessing it would be relatively easy to
write a python script to do this - however I know nothing of Python, let
alone the gdal interface. Has anyone done this already?

Thanks,
Chris Hodgson