[Gdal-dev] how to read SRTM files

Thom DeCarlo t.r.decarlo at LARC.NASA.GOV
Mon Dec 13 16:07:47 EST 2004

Eduardo,
This question has come up quite a few times in several lists I'm on. (I
asked once, myself.)

First, if you are using a Linux computer or can install Cygwin (from
www.cygwin.org) on your Windows computer you can use this bash script that I
modified from Markus Neteler's website:
http://mpa.itc.it/rs/srtm/

This shell program will change the name of the .hgt to .bil. It then
generates the .hdr and .prj files for the ESRI file reader. Finally, it
launches gdal_translate to build a geotiff from the bil file.

HTH,
Thom

Thom DeCarlo
    Do Not Meddle in the Affairs of Dragons
For You are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup