[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.19 with ECW problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 16:41:22 EST 2004

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Many thanks for the response. I did initially try just replacing the
> gdal11.dll in the OpenEV distribution with the new one, but I kept
> getting the following error message when loading OpenEV: "The procedure
> entry point OGRSetGenerate_DB2_V72_BYTE_ORDER could not be located in
> the dynamic link library gdal11.dll". This fortunately threw out a
> python backtrace that pointed to line 100 in pymod/gdal.py that simply
> reads 'import _gdal'. I checked the DLL exports and found that the new
> DLL didn't have this entry point so I copied across all the files using
> setup.py and did some hand tweaking until it worked :)

Mark,

Ahh, it looks like you built and installed an older GDAL (perhaps 1.1.9?)
I would suggest you use the nightly snapshot of GDAL as the source
to start from.  I presume that OpenEV is using a few new services from
GDAL that didn't existing in 1.1.9.

The other thing that I almost hesitate to mention, is that the OpenEV_FW
1.6.3 binary build for windows includes ECW support.  This really isn't
much different than the 1.7.0 release Gillian prepared, but it has quite
a few additional GDAL formats included.

> I've now managed to get the Visual C debugger going and I'm not sure
> this is a GDAL problem anymore. The error message I get is: "Unhandled
> exception in python.exe (_GV.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access violation." with
> no python stacktrace. I did find a program called gvtest in the
> OpenEV\bin directory and that seemed to work fine. So perhaps this is
> not a GDAL problem but an OpenEV issue - I can try and open this up on
> the OpenEV lists instead if you think that would be more relevant? I'm
> guessing that this DLL is the one called from gview.py which appears to
> be some kind of GTK extension for vector graphics?

This is an OpenEV level issue, but it is likely to be pretty hard to
diagnose since you can't debug _GV.DLL unless you rebuild it from source
too.