[Gdal-dev] ERROR 5: GDALDataset::GetRasterBand(1) - Illegal band #

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Mon Feb 9 02:24:28 EST 2004

After installing FreeBSD 4.9 and downloading the latest versions of:

hdf (HDF4.2r0)
gdal (gdal-1.1.9)
grass (grass5.3) from cvs
proj (proj-4.4.7)

I went to build/install everything from scratch to read in ASTER L1B
images...

so here's what happend...

move into the hdf dir
./configure
gmake
su
gmake install

cd to gal-1.1.9
./configure --with-hdf4=/usr/local
gmake
su
gmake install

I wanted to have odbc support, so I installed the
unixODBC from /usr/ports...
cd /usr/ports/databases/unixODBC
make install

download the latest version of proj (4.4.7)
tar xvfz proj-4.4.7
cd proj-4.4.7
./configure
make
su
make install
exit

then cd to grass
./configure --with-includes=/usr/local/include \
--with-libs=/usr/local/lib \
--without-postgres \
--without-tcltk \
--without-fftw \
--with-proj

normally, grass build would assume the includes and libs were in
/usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib,

GRASS is now configured for i386-unknown-freebsd4.9
Build Mechanism: gmake
Source directory: /usr/home/hamannj/grass
Build directory: /usr/home/hamannj/grass
Installation directory: /usr/local/grass53
C compiler: gcc -g -O2
C++ compiler:
FORTRAN compiler: f77
NVIZ: no
X11 support: yes
JPEG support: yes
TIFF support: yes
PNG support: yes
Tcl/Tk support: no
PostgreSQL support: no
OpenGL(R) support: yes
SGI IRIS GL support: no
ODBC support: yes
FFTW support: no
BLAS support: no
LAPACK support: no
Motif support: no
FreeType support: no
GLw support: no
NLS support: no
Readline support: no
C++ support: no
External PROJ.4 support: yes
GDAL/OGR support: yes
$

make
make install
and everything went as I hoped it would...
I then started GRASS53, created a location and imported a coverage to
verify things were working. I then attempted to import the ASTER (HDF
format) using r.in.gdal and got the following results:

Mapset <PERMANENT> in Location <mcdunn-utm>
GRASS-GRID > r.in.gdal -o input=ast_l1b.hdf output=aster
ERROR 5: GDALDataset::GetRasterBand(1) - Illegal band #
Abort trap (core dumped)
Mapset <PERMANENT> in Location <mcdunn-utm>
GRASS-GRID >

Lovely, now what after all that success in getting things to compile and
work?

Thanks,
Jeff.

---