[Gdal-dev] Problems building gdal dll with libtool on MinGW

Alessandro Amici alexamici at fastwebnet.it
Tue Feb 17 02:22:39 EST 2004

Mario,

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 04:14, Mario Beauchamp wrote:
> Up to now, I had always built gdal as a static lib and everything was fine.
> When I tried to build a shared gdal using libtool, it complained about the
> fact that I didn't have shared versions of libm and libz and I ended up
> with a static lib.

all mingw installation i tried had only static libraries inside /usr/lib

you may possibly get the gdal internal copy of libz using
"--with-libz=internal", but you need to find a way to get a shared copy of
libm. you should probably ask to the mingw list.

> And if I understand libtool correctly (don't bet on that!), a dll created
> with libtool needs libtool to link, right?

this is true only inside the source tree. after 'make install' you can use
normal link commands, no libtool required.

> I build the lib under MSYS but I
> use the Dev-Cpp IDE to build the apps that link with it and I don't think
> it works with libtool. So I may be doing all this for nothing :)

there should be no problem (after installing gdal)

cheers,
alessandro