[Gdal-dev] Python support under MinGW

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 18 01:54:50 EST 2004

Mario Beauchamp wrote:
> Technically, the MSYS bash is a unix style file tree, is it not?

Mario,

I don't know.  I am not familiar with "MSYS" at all.  I gather this
is some sort of toolset or something related to MingW?

> What I don't understand is why the OpenEV configure bails out instead of simply disabling Python
> like the GDAL configure does.
>
> BTW, what is the configure scripts looking for exactly? A Python makefile? Could we "fake" one?

The configure tests for python are complicated.  They were copied from some
other projects and rather sloppily hacked for my purposes.  I didn't understand
them well at the time, and I remember little detail about them now.  I would suggest
you just manually copy Makefile.in to Makefile, and hack it yourself.

I would note that OpenEV without python isn't really used for anything, so it
isn't really worth it to me to make that configuration work smoothly.  It would
be nice to be able to override the python build options directly.

> I have been building software on MinGW for a few months now and I got my fair share of headaches :)
>
> But I can endure a lot just to avoid dealing with M$ stuff!

Well, your braver than me.  What are you going to do about GTK and all
related components?  (glib, gtk+, gtk+extra, gtkglarea, pygtk, etc)? This
is the stuff that normally lives in the "pkgsrc" tree for windows builds?

I would encourage you to try and build against versions of this
built with MSVC by someone else (ie. me) or you will really be fiddling
with alot of stuff.