[Gdal-dev] Problem with Python, OGR/OGDI and VPF.http://www.esri.com/devsupport/devconn/mapobjects/samples/vb/vpfsamples/vpfsamples.zip

Eggert Jón Magnússon ejm at gavia.is
Wed Feb 18 06:35:22 EST 2004

I am having problems reading a VPF database through OGDI/OGR in python.
When I try to call ds.GetLayer(layerCount-2), something locks up.
I am not sure on which end the lockup is (whether OGR is waiting for OGDI?)
but ogrinfo displays the layer names correctly.

The dataset I am using is the formerly publically available sample VPF
dataset, San Diego Harbor.  (I managed to obtain it from the ESRI homepage:
http://www.esri.com/devsupport/devconn/mapobjects/samples/vb/vpfsamples/vpfs
amples.zip)

Here is the snippet of code that manages to lock up:
	for i in range(file.GetLayerCount()):
	    layer = file.GetLayer(i)
	    print 'layer %s with %d
features.'%(layer.GetName(),layer.GetFeatureCount())
	    gt = layer.GetLayerDefn().GetGeomType()
	    print 'gt',gt
	    if gt == 3:
		obClass = Area
		append = self.polygons.append
	    elif gt == 2:
		obClass = Line
		append = self.lines.append
	    else: #  gt == 1: Point
		obClass = None
	    continue

What happens is that I get a printout of all the layers except the last 2
ones, and the process locks up.
--
regards,
Eggert Jón Magnússon