[Gdal-dev] OT: MrSID vs JPEG2000

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Mon Feb 23 14:37:23 EST 2004

Frank Warmerdam writes:

>  However, it is important to keep in mind that
> JPEG2000 is an open standard with several implementations of libraries for
> the format, and with no company holding patents or other "intellectual
> property" that prevents others from using the format.

FYI

http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/productPage/productHome/0%2C2121%2Cgeneric%253DADV202%2526level4%253D%25252D1%2526level1%253D214%2
526level2%253D%25252D1%2526level3%253D%25252D1%2526resourceWebLawID%253D0%2C00.html

It will be reallly 'neat' when this or a similar product is standard fare on
the Motherboard.  IMHO we are currently in a window of opportunity
for enterprising souls to make a GIS Imaging addon board which could
potentially sell for substantially less then then current software solutions

Note there are several similar products available

Cheers

Norman