[Gdal-dev] Conversion formula

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 17:43:22 EST 2004

Support_Fluidyn wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> I  would like to know the formula required to convert UTM coordinates
> into standard lat/long coordinates and vice versa.
> I am looking forward for your reply and  would be thankful for the same.
>  Thanking you,
> Nisha

Nisha,

I haven't checked it myself, but I think the following NIMA document on
UTM will contain the formulas:

   ftp://164.214.2.65/pub/gig/tm8358.2/TM8358_2.pdf

However, writing your own projections code is a non-trivial job.  Perhaps
you should use an existing library?  The OGRSpatialReference, and
OGRCoordinateTransformation classes can be used to convert between UTM and
lat/long in the GDAL library (if you also have PROJ.4 installed).