[Gdal-dev] NetCDF on Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 12:55:05 EST 2004

Howard Butler wrote:
> List,
>
> I am please to report that I was able to compile NetCDF support for GDAL
> using the windows binary that I found on
> ftp://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/pub/gmt/ that included a dll and .lib file.
>
> Once compiled, however, I am unable to see the NetCDF driver listed when
> I print the drivers list using Python.  What other compiler symbols do I
> need to set to ensure that the driver built?

Howard,

Excellent work, but the magic you are missing is changes to frmts/makefile.vc
to define FRMT_netcdf when building gdalallregister.cpp.  I have committed
the required changes to nmake.opt, frmts/makefile.vc, and frmts/netcdf/makefile.vc
so that netcdf can now be built on windows.  I have done some minimal testing
to verify that it works properly with the netcdf sdk you referenced.

Note, I had to do a "chmod a+x" on the netcdf.dll when running from within the
Cygwin environment. I don't know if this is an artifact of cgywin or what.