[Gdal-dev] can't read ASTER HDF-EOS files...

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Fri Jan 30 16:55:19 EST 2004

I've built gdal-1.1.9 under cygwin (for use within GRASS) and haven't been
able to read ASTER L1B files (in HDF-EOS format) using any of the tools like
gdalinfo.

These are the supported file formats from my builod:

hamannj at rodan ~/gdal-1.1.9
$ gdalinfo --formats
Supported Formats:
  VRT: Virtual Raster
  GTiff: GeoTIFF
  NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format
  HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
  SAR_CEOS: CEOS SAR Image
  CEOS: CEOS Image
  ELAS: ELAS
  AIG: Arc/Info Binary Grid
  AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid
  SDTS: SDTS Raster
  DTED: DTED Elevation Raster
  PNG: Portable Network Graphics
  JPEG: JPEG JFIF
  MEM: In Memory Raster
  JDEM: Japanese DEM (.mem)
  GIF: Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
  ESAT: Envisat Image Format
  BSB: Maptech BSB Nautical Charts
  XPM: X11 PixMap Format
  BMP: MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap
  PNM: Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)
  DOQ1: USGS DOQ (Old Style)
  DOQ2: USGS DOQ (New Style)
  ENVI: ENVI .hdr Labelled
  EHdr: ESRI .hdr Labelled
  PAux: PCI .aux Labelled
  MFF: Atlantis MFF Raster
  MFF2: Atlantis MFF2 (HKV) Raster
  FujiBAS: Fuji BAS Scanner Image
  GSC: GSC Geogrid
  FAST: EOSAT FAST Format
  L1B: NOAA Polar Orbiter Level 1b Data Set
  FIT: FIT Image
  USGSDEM: USGS Optional ASCII DEM
  GXF: GeoSoft Grid Exchange Format

I've tried renaming the image I want to import to no avail.

I always get the following when trying to read an hdf file:

hamannj at rodan ~
$ gdalinfo ast_l1b.hdf
ERROR 4: `ast_l1b.hdf' not recognised as a supported file format.

GDALOpen failed - 4
`ast_l1b.hdf' not recognised as a supported file format.

When I attempt the same with a common graphics format (png, jpeg, etc) I get
the results I expect.

How can I compile gdal to read HDF-EOS files under cygwin. I haven't been
able to find out how over the web yet and this exercise is getting a little
old by now.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Jeff.