[Gdal-dev] Re: undefined python objects

Alessandro Amici alexamici at fastwebnet.it
Sat Jan 31 05:19:18 EST 2004

Chris, Sean,

sorry for being that much late in the discussion. hope it is still
relevant :).

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 16:51, Sean Fulton wrote:

> >> Chris,

[big skip]

> Good luck. I'll give it a try once I get a Dev CD and see if we can't
> beat Panther into submission.
>
> 	Sean

the build of the gdal python module has always been fragile, and it has became
a real hack since the libtool transition (my fault, admittedly). IMHO the
only hope to get out of the current mess is to use the distutils
infrastructure, that hopefully will take care of the OSX problem as well.

so i refreshed what looked like an abandoned setup.py in the top directory.
current gdal cvs builds and installs fine on linux with:
$ python setup.py build
$ python setup.py install

it wuold be very helpfull if you could test it on OSX and report the results.

Frank, if the distutils build of the python module fixes a real problem, i'll
try to set up a more polished patch, and we may think to port all
architecture to it.

cheers,
alessandro