[Gdal-dev] gdal project info.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 8 09:28:35 EDT 2004

Rajesh Pandey wrote:
> sir,
> I am an engineering student, presently I am working on your GDAL library
> as my summer project.
>     I wanted to know how I can convert the GDAL dll into a COM dll so
> that I can use it in a project developed in VB,also tell me how can I
> compile seperate dll of gdal as
> independent dlls.
>     kindly help me in my project,It will be a great help to me.
> thanking you

Rajesh,

Building proper COM bindings for all the GDAL entry points would be a
substantial effort.  The more common approach for folks wanting to use
libraries like GDAL from VB is to compile it with the appropriate calling
conventions (stdcall I think) and then just call the C API entry points
directly from VB.  There are definately difficulties with some of the
data types but this is (I think) acheivable.

In fact, rather than pursuing COM bindings in the future, I would be more
interested in seeing .net bindings prepared for GDAL at some point in the
future.  This would make it available to all the .net enabled languages on
windows, including VB.net.