[Gdal-dev] OGR SQLite Driver Added

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 13 16:56:29 EDT 2004

Folks,

I have implemented a new OGR driver for SQLite databases.  SQLite is
essentially a lightweight "all in one file" RDBMS.  No external servers
to install or run, no complicated data management.  But it does have
sophisticated SQL support.

The OGR driver includes support for spatial and non-spatial data.  However,
spatial data is just stored as a text field named WKT_GEOMETRY with no
special spatial indexing or anything.  So there is no spatial indexing.

Anyways, I think SQLite will be a handy light weight way of managing spatial
and non spatial data with SQL capabilities and I hope to start including it
in some of my default GDAL/OGR builds.

   http://www.remotesensing.org:16080/gdal/ogr/drv_sqlite.html