[Gdal-dev] Mapinfo performance - tabfile spatial index

Jeremy Palmer jpalmer at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jul 22 05:09:40 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm having problems with the performance of gdal created MapInfo tab files
from a postgis database. It seems that the tab file does not get spatially
index upon creation... I used OGR2OGR to extract geometries from a postgis
database. The source postgis table has a 'geometry' type. The command I used
to create the table was:

ogr2ogr -f "Mapinfo File" parcel PG:dbname=testgis -sql "SELECT id
translate(shape, 160,0,0) FROM crs_parcel" -nln parcel -a_srs "EPSG:4167"

My question is: I'm I doing something wrong with the creation of the file,
or is it just that the MapInfo driver does not support spatial indexing?

Thanks Jeremy