[Gdal-dev] GeoTIFF LZW compression?

Thom DeCarlo t.r.decarlo at larc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 30 11:13:32 EDT 2004

On Friday, July 30, 2004 9:55 AM, I wrote:

> Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:06:46PM -0400, Thom DeCarlo wrote:
> > > Has LZW compression been implemented for GeoTIFF output in gdal yet?
> > > Now that all of the patents have expired (I think...) there shouldn't
> > > be any other restrictions, right?
> >
> > LZW code has been commited in the upstream libtiff sources and will be
> > propagated to the GDAL soon. Meanwhile you can grab the libtiff library
> > from the its CVS and use it instead of internal version.
> >
> > 						Andrey
>
> I cannot use CVS here at work. I found a libtiff3.7.0alpha.zip on the
> remotesensing.org ftp site, but I anything clearly identified as a CVS
> tarball. Does that 3.7.0.alpha version include the LZW compression?
>
> Thanks,
> Thom

To answer my own question, yes, it appears that LZW is supported in
3.7.0alpha. Unfortunately, I cannot compile it on my WinXP/VC6 computer.
(I'm not sure what is supposed to be in config.h.vc, but the file doesn't
exist in the zip file.)

I guess I'll wait for future support within gdal.

Thanks,
Thom