[Gdal-dev] JTS in OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jun 14 14:01:59 EDT 2004

Lorenzo Maior.it wrote:
> Hi,
> I've read the C++ JTS implementation: it provides many spatial algorithms
> not implemented in OGR at the moment (but inserted in OGR_geometry.h) . JTS
> is conform to Simple Feature Specification so its class hierarchy is very
> close to OGR geometry class hierarchy.
> Has anyone tried to use OGR and JTS together or, better, is there a project
> to use JTS in OGR (or OGR in JTS)?

Lorenzo,

It is my intention to use GEOS (the C++ port of JTS) as the basis of spatial
operators in OGR.  I spoke to Martin Davis about it a bit at the MUM/OSGIS
meeting last week.  Apparently GEOS is solid and stable and is caught up with
the latest JTS release so perhaps it is time to act on this now.

I will look into it soon.