[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2.1 Released

Mladen Turk mturk at apache.org
Thu Jun 24 11:30:47 EDT 2004

Frank,

> From: Frank Warmerdam
>
> It can be avoided by building GDAL and the application with a runtime
> C library.  I think this is accomplished with the /MD switch.

True, but MFC still has a separate heap so the same problem again :(.

> The other approach is to provide some sort of external destructor access
> via exact function entry points.  I have done this already for many GDAL
> and
> OGR objects.  In particular for GDAL it is usually sufficient to call
> GDALClose()
> on a dataset handle to clean things up.

Perhaps adding some tin root 'Object' for each public API class, like:
class OGRObject {
public:
	OGRObject() {};

	virual void Destroy(OGRObject *o) = 0;
};

Then you can have:

class OGRLayer : public OGRObject ...
and,
void OGRLayer::Destroy(OGRObject *o)
{
	delete (OGRLayer *)o;
}

That will force that each inherited class implements the Destroy method.

> I would like to also rewrite the MapServer mapogr.cpp code to use
> the
> OGR C API instead of the C++ API.

Excellent (after all mapserver is all plain C).

MT.