[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2.0 Solaris build

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 2 10:55:59 EST 2004

Frédéric Trastour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build GDAL with a static link of the Proj4 library.
>
> *** On Solaris, I have the following problem :
>
> My configure line is :
>
>  $ ./configure \
> --prefix=$(geolib)/libGDAL_OGR/src/SOLARIS2_6/gdal/RELEASE \
> --with-libtiff=$(geolib)/libTIFF/src/SOLARIS2_6  \
> --with-geotiff=$(geolib)/libGEOTIFF/src/SOLARIS2_6  \
> --with-local=$(geolib)/libHDF/src/SOLARIS  \
> --with-threads=-"lposix4 -lnsl" \
> --with-hdf4=$(geolib)/libHDF/src/SOLARIS  \
> --without-jasper  \
> --with-jpeg=internal \
>  --with-libz=internal  \
> --with-png=internal  \
> --without-libtool  \
> --without-ld-shared  \
> --with-static-proj4=$(geolib)/libPROJ/src/SOLARIS2_6
>
> the libproj.a library is searched in the 'src' directory  under the specified proj directory.
> The problem is that when Proj is build with libtool, the src directory doesn't contain
> any library. The library is in the ".libs" sub-directory.
>
> Perhaps configure should look directly inside the specified directory ( This allows to
> specify either the lib directory resulting of a 'make install' or the '.libs' directory inside
> the build tree).

Frédéric,

You are setting up a pretty hard configuration!   I would suggest you
install the PROJ.4 tree, even if only into a local tree and then use
that to link against instead.  That will avoid the libtool related issues.

> *** On Win32, I specify a static proj link in nmake.opt :
>
> PROJ_FLAGS = -DPROJ_STATIC
> PROJ_INCLUDE = -Iz:\GEOIMAGE_SRC\LIBRAIRIES\libPROJ\src\win32\include
> PROJ_LIB = z:\GEOIMAGE_SRC\LIBRAIRIES\libPROJ\src\win32\lib
>
> But It looks like PROJ_LIB is never used... I have to add '$PROJ_LIB\proj.lib' to ADD_LIBS
> in order to properly link.
> Am i missing something ?

Hmm, it would seem we missed this.  I have added PROJ_LIB into the EXTERNAL_LIBS
macro now.  Your local change should be fine too.