[Gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.2.0 Released

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Mar 11 12:15:09 EST 2004

Frank Warmerdam writes:

> Folks,
>
> I have released GDAL 1.2.0 final (hopefully).  It is available at:
>
>    ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal-1.2.0.tar.gz
>    ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal120.zip
>

> If no one reports any major problems in the next few hours I will announce
> the release in a few other venues and on freshmeat.net.

Not a major problem but ....

When building with Cygwin and MingW32 and --without-libtool a DLL is built
but it is not used because the assosciated 'link lib' is not built

The following snippet from GNUMakefile seems to build the appropriate lib

$(GDAL_SLIB):	$(GDAL_OBJ)
	$(LD_SHARED) -Wl,--out-implib=libgdal.dll.a  $(GDAL_OBJ) $(GDAL_LIBS) $(LIBS) \
		-o $(GDAL_SLIB)

Also the DLL that is created is installed into /usr/local/lib and not /usr/local/bin
and it does not appear as if the .a file is installed at all

Note the 'link lib' the .dll.a file created by the above 'make rule' should also
be installed into $(prefix)/lib

I haven't tried the libtool build as it fails to build a DLL for when using the extensions
that I need to use

FYI - I don't think that this is a reason to delay the release as it is easy
enough to have 'special' instructions for using gcc and the --without-libtool
option on Windows platforms

Cheers

Norman