[Gdal-dev] Bathymetry data... - Email found in subject

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 25 12:35:47 EST 2004

IMD Listuser wrote:
> Thanks for the tip Frank,
>
> I am unfamiliar with the .aux format. How will it help me move the data
> to geotiff?

Charlie,

The .aux format (PCI .aux labelled raw raster) is a simple header file for
describing raw datasets.  It is supported in GDAL, so once you write a .aux
file for an otherwise unsupported file, you should be able to refer to the
original raw file, and GDAL will pick up the .aux file automatically to
determine the data format.  So, once you have the appropriate .aux file
you can just do something like:

gdal_translate topo_8.2.img topo_8.2.tif

I would note the error message about not being HFA does not occur in modern
GDAL builds.  While .aux format is support in GDAL 1.1.8 you may find you need
to upgrade to 1.2.0 if it continues to complain about being HFA format (or
rename the file topo_8.2.notimg ... that would do the trick to. :-)

PS. I am partial to the .aux format beause I designed it while at PCI.  However,
there are other similar mechanisms such as the .ers file distributed with the
data.  It's just that they aren't necessarily supported by GDAL.