[Gdal-dev] Re: OGR C API question

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Mar 31 10:13:55 EST 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> When I looked at it last it was quite tied to it's own dbm (gdbm?) format
> backend and wasn't easily applied to other formats.  Has that changed?

That hasn't changed AFAIK: SQLite has its own format and can operate
only on that format.  The interest for us is that we sometimes need to
find a file format to efficiently store/query point and attribute data
without the 256 chars limitations of DBFs, and with the possibility of
doing fast indexed searches. The only option in those cases is often to
use MySQL or Postgres, but that makes the applications much harder to
deploy because we need to install and maintain the database engine.

With SQLite, all you need to do to deploy an application is to copy the
database file: no database engine setup is required, that's a huge
benefit in many cases where you don't need the full power (caching,
record locking, security, etc.) of a "real" database engine.

> Hmm, I think "progress with the SQLite driver" is a bit too concrete a way
> to discuss it.  I have this nice fuzzy idea in the back of my head that it
> might be nice someday to build an SQLite driver.  Should anything come
> of it
> I will update the list, but don't expect anything.  I have lots of warm
> fuzzy
> ideas about things that would be nice to do.

Oh... I wasn't suggesting that you would be doing it.  This comment was

Etienne Dube wrote:
> I plan to add sqlite support to OGR, as
> Postgres is not really intented for embedded use. It won't be ready anytime
> soon, but eventually I'd like to contribute these improvements back to the
> OGR cvs tree.

Sorry for the confusion

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca