[Gdal-dev] Shapelib and UNICODE

David Garcia david at aimsun.com
Wed Nov 10 09:11:35 EST 2004

Hi,

We are using shapelib version 1.2.10 to import GIS data in our
application. It works perfectly for English shapefiles but we we try to
import a shapefile in Japanese (the DBF part) we get garbage. Looking at
DBFReadStringAttribute and DBFWriteStringAttribute seems that shapelib
can only support char* and not UNICODE strings.

My question is: the GDAL/OGR support for shapefiles uses the same
library and, thus, have the same problem or is a different
implementation and support UNICODE?

I can move to GDAL/OGR is this will solve the problem or I can try to
hack the current shapelib version to include UNICODE support.

Thanks,

    David

--
David Garcia