[Gdal-dev] Re: Betr: Re: How to work with Intergraph RGB files?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 23 09:38:27 EST 2004

Emil Zegers wrote:
> Hello Frank,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I found a freeware tool called PictView  (http://www.pictview.com/) to
 > convert Intergraph RLE files (RGB, COT) and others to TIF, BMP, JPG etc.
>
>>From there I'm using GDAL again to convert, merge etc.
>
> I know it is a bit of topic for the GDAL list to 'promote' other software
 > here but hopefully a nice addition for others too who bump into Intergraph
 > raster files.

Emil,

I have no problem with other software packages, even "competing" ones being
brought up on the gdal-dev list.  One of the liberating things about open
source development is that I don't need to get all competative about
"protecting my market".

However, there are times when I wish we had a general data translator mailing
list available.  When I started out on my own the gistrans (GIS Translators)
mailing list was reasonable active and I really appreciated it as a place
to share information amoung folks implementing translators as well as for
users to ask for help.  But that list seems to have faded away.  I'm not sure
if it was just a lack of interest or whether it wasn't widely enough known
to be useful.