[Gdal-dev] geojp2 heavy resource use

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Sat Oct 9 04:44:58 EDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:36:28PM -0400, Steve Halasz wrote:
> I see huge cpu and memory use when invoking gdalinfo on these
> jpeg200/geojp2 files:
>
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/jpeg2000/doq.jp2
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/jpeg2000/gtopo.jp2
>
> These rasters don't seem that big either.

It seems that you are using JasPer based driver. That is normal for that
driver, because the library don't have a call to fetch the image
parameters (width, height etc.) without decoding the whole image in the
buffer. Also this library has a poor perfomance.

Consider using Kakadu or MrSID drivers. Recent MrSID decoding SDKs are
available without charge fro variety of platforms and have JPEG2000
support built-in.

						Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517