[Gdal-dev] Are there plans to integrate geojp2 with main jasper source?

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Sun Oct 10 16:20:28 EDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 03:17:00PM -0400, Steve Halasz wrote:
> I've requested[1] inclusion of the geojp2 modifications for jasper[2]
> to debian's version of that library. The debian maintainer of jasper
> has asked:
>
> > * When I include the feature now only for Debian, I'm responsible
> > for supporting it in future versions. I hope you understand that
> > it's hard to track different derived upstream versions (patches) and
> > that it would be much more appreciated to see such features included
> > in the main jasper distribution. Have you asked Michael D. Adams
> > yet? I understand that he seems to be busy and doesn't have much
> > time for maintaining it. What about a joint effort of maintaining
> > jasper collaboratively (like a sourceforge project) with him?
>
> Has any petition been made to Michael D. Adams along these lines?

I sent him my patch two years ago, but don't ask to include it in the
main distribution. I'm not sure it should be included in the JasPer,
there are much more important issues with that library beside the
GeoJP2. It will be more helpful to ask him to make his project more open
(i.e. grant the public access to the development source tree). Right now
we even don't know whether he still works on library or not.

						Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517