[Gdal-dev] Add srs info to existing JP2 file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 14 22:05:51 EDT 2004

Chris Hodgson wrote:
> I have a JPEG-2000 file that was created using gdal/kakadu - it has it's
> bounding box, but not it's srs. How can I add the srs info to the file,
> without changing the image data at all - will gdal_translate do this for
> me? I'm worried it will resample/re-compress and lose quality (I'm using
> JP2 lossy compression).

Chris,

GDAL does not contain the ability to rewrite a JPEG2000 file with a coordinate
system definition without having to decompress and recompress the image.
It would be best to go back to your original image, and re-convert to JPEG2000
applying the SRS in that process if possible.

Note you can use the -a_srs switch to gdal_translate to apply an SRS to the
output file.