[Gdal-dev] pct2rgb.py

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 19 09:14:03 EDT 2004

Dobmeyer, Todd wrote:
> Frank
>
> I downloaded the OPENEV_FW zip file that you recommended. I unzipped it
> into the same folder that has the gdal folder. So both OpenEV_FW and
> gdal are in their own folders inside the same "parent" folder. I typed
> in the command:
>
> gdal_merge.py -o rgb.tif blue.tif green.tif red.tif -separate
>
> With the proper filenames of course. When I press Enter in command
> prompt, I receive the following errors. What do they mean?
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Support Libraries\OpenEV_FW\pymod\gdal_merge.py", line 76, in
> ?
>     import gdal
>   File "C:\Support Libraries\OpenEV_FW\pymod\gdal.py", line 152, in ?
>     import _gdal
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be
> found.

Todd,

Had you edited the setfw.bat to reflect the path to where you unpacked it?
Had you then run setfw.bat in the shell?

Also, I see you have a space in a parent directory.  This could possibly
be a problem, so you might want to try moving the tree temporarily to the
root (ie. C:\OpenEV_FW) and see if that works better.  If there is an issue
with spaces in the path I will dig into it at my end, but I would appreciate
hearing about it.

Hmm, the other thing I see is that you are running it as gdal_merge.py.  With
the OpenEV_FW package there is a .bat file in the bin directory that should
normally be used instead of running the python scripts directly.  In fact, I'm
a bit surprised you could run gdal_merge.py directly.  Normally the WinXP
command shell does not know how to launch them with python.  Are you running
this from Cygwin or do you have a regular python installation on your system?
To ensure that everything in OpenEV_FW works properly it is best to only run
stuff from the regular CMD.EXE shell, and to ensure you get the environment
setup by setfw.bat.  This is intended to ensure that the OpenEV_FW versions of
everything get used, and that the environment is setup properly to find
everything.