[Gdal-dev] Re: MapServer WCS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 19 11:40:17 EDT 2004

Martin Daly wrote:
> int CPL_DLL GDAL_TIFFGetField(TIFF* tif, ttag_t tag, ...)
> {
> 	int status;
> 	va_list ap;
>
> 	va_start(ap, tag);
> 	status = TIFFVGetField(tif, tag, ap);
> 	va_end(ap);
> 	return (status);
> }
>
> That is copied TIFFGetField (inside CPL_C_START/CPL_C_END), prefixed it
> with GDAL_, and added CPL_DLL.  Not nice.

Martin,

If you want an externally accessable libtiff API the best way is to build
libtiff seperately from GDAL and then link GDAL against that.  The normal
libtiff build mechanisms do export all the entry points (using a .def file)
while GDAL does not.  One could argue whether GDAL should, or whether it is
better for GDAL to "hide" it's copy of libtiff internally, but I am not keen
to try and change this.