[Gdal-dev] OGR: TIGER/Line polygons

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 20 15:37:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Schuyler Erle wrote:

> Have you looked at the tigerpoly.py script that comes with GDAL in the
> pymod/samples/ directory? Works great for me vis a vis extracting
> polygons from TIGER/Line - the polygons are a little dirty, but
> GRASS's v.clean fixes that up right away.

Frank just put me onto that one.  I evidently haven't gotten the
correct invocation for it yet, as the resulting file included every
darn polyline in one county's TIGER set, not just the polygons!

Have a sample invocation that works for you?  Unfortunately I'm not
familiar with Python or I'd figure it out myself.  I'll still try to
anyway.

That will solve one problem we're having, which is the missing
polygons from TIGER 2003 data that's been converted to Shapefiles
for our project.

I still need to solve a second problem, which is how to display
polygons directly from raw TIGER data (not the shapefiles).  I'm
working on that one.