[Gdal-dev] OGR: how to get information about font name in style string for point features

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 2 10:07:39 EDT 2004

ksa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using ogr1.2.1 on Linux Slackware 9.1. I've got some difficulties in
> getting
> style of point features.
>

> I have follow MIF file:
>
> --top of MIF file
> Version 300
> Charset "WindowsCyrillic"
> Delimiter ","
> CoordSys Earth Projection 1, 0
> Columns 2
>   ID Integer
>   Code Char(8)
> Data
>
> Point 36.145654 54.531409
>     Symbol (45,0,10,"MapInfo Weather",0,0)
> --end of MIF file
>

> So, I have follow style string (by calling OGRFeature::getStyleString()):
>
> SYMBOL(a:0,c:#000000,s:10pt,id:"mapinfo-sym-45.ogr-sym-8").
>

> There is no information about font name in that style string. How I can get
> information about font name? MIF-file contains the information about font
> name ("MapInfo Weather").
>
> How I can get information about font name?

Sergey,

It appears the font information is lost even though it should properly be
carried into the style string.  I would encourage you to file a bug report
against GDAL's mapinfo driver about this, including an attached mid/mif file
set that demonstrates the problem.

The bad news is that we are someone backlogged on mapinfo related issues and
it is unlikely to be resolved for a while.  The Mapinfo driver is fairly
complicated and it takes some serious effort to get into the right "headspace"
to make fixes to the style related stuff.   I don't forsee Daniel or I doing
that in the near future and the original author of the .mid/mif section is
no longer involved.

If your need is sufficiently compelling, you could fund a bit of time to
fix this particular issue or look into preparing a patch yourself (though
this is a complicated area).