[Gdal-dev] Newbie

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:27:51 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:04:37PM -0400, William Lyons wrote:
> I'm new to gdal and relatively new to geospatial data.  What I'm
> trying to do is compile gdal in a windows environment using Visual
> Studio .NET
>
> Has anyone out there tried this before?  Any advice?

That should be relatively easy task. There are three steps:

1. Edit nmake.opt file in the GDAL root directory and adjust the build
   options if needed (every option has a comment).
2. Run vcvars32.bat file from the MSVC bin directory to get the
   apprpriate command line environment.
3. Change directory to the GDAL root and run command

   d:\gdal\> nmake /f makefile.vc

   If you want to install compiled binaries you should run

   d:\gdal\> nmake /f makefile.vc install

   afterwards (don't forget to change install path in the nmake.opt).

						Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517