[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2.2 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 17 09:04:11 EDT 2004

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Frank,
>
> what is the state of the python bindings related to the geos functions?
>  I'm interested in building some user-land tools in openev for combining
> vector geometries and creating buffers (for instance).

Paul,

Looking at it, I see that I did the python bindings for the comparison
operators (intersect, equal, disjoint, touches, crosses, within, contains,
overlaps and empty) but I didn't do the operators that produce new geoemtries
as a result (convexhull, distance, buffer, intersection, union, difference
and symmetricdifference).

I'll try and address those as well, though of course it is too late now to
having them in 1.2.2.

BTW, the gdalautotest/ogr/ogr_geos.py script has examples of how the geos
functions are used from Python.

Actually, in C++ there are also methods for converting between GEOS and
OGR geometry formats but these are also not wrapped in python and I don't
anticipate that occuring in the near future.