[Gdal-dev] gdal_merge.py not setting NoDataValue for dst files

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:39:56 EDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 10:24 AM, vincent at ecovla.nl <vincent at ecovla.nl> wrote:
> would be a solution. Currently there is no other way to have the nodata
> value set after using gdal_merge.py, then this 'fix' or creating a vrt
> file and editing by hand (which I don't want to do with 500+ scenes...).
> So for now I'll keep my fix. But I like the ability of gdal_merge to
> create a multilayer file from different single layer files, so please
> don't wipe gdal_merge till we have a good substitute for that... :-)

Vincent,

Well, I'm in no hurry to wipe out gdal_merge.py, though it is possible
that one day it will be reduced in status to a member of the "sample
scripts" directory.  I think it is a useful example of how images can be
manipulated in a python script with relatively easy control for the user.
This is helpful exactly so that folks can customize the processing steps
as you have.

> Btw should I file an enhancement request in bugzilla for a -dst_nodata
> option for gdal_translate, to be able to add a nodata setting to the
> destination file? Or are there caveats for this which I overlook now? I
> think this would be a nice and handy and logical extra function of
> gdal_translate.

In order to save two bugzilla bug entries, I have added the feature
(called -a_nodata)  to gdal_translate (1 bug report) and also added
the docs to the  utilities page for the new option saving Markus
the trouble of preparing a docs patch and submitting it (2nd bug report).